Education Minister Dipu Moni confirmed the matter at a virtual meeting on Wednesday. Every year there is a lottery system for the enrolment of students in Class I and the admission test for the second to the eighth class.
“However, it is risky to bring students to school and conduct enrolment under written admission test procedures during the Covid-19. So, the government has decided to take the admission test through the lottery,” the minister mentioned. Students will be admitted through the lottery in multiple steps.
This year, the catchment area will be 50% instead of 40%. In the case of cluster-based admission, the student can select five schools in a lottery. The admission process will be completed between January 10 and 15. Admission details will be announced by December 7. The education minister also warned that action will be taken if the admission fee in private schools are increased.
When might schools reopen? Responding to a query, Education Minister Dipu Moni said when the schools open will depend entirely on the Covid-19 situation. However, she hinted that the coronavirus infection is more prevalent during winter and in our country, it is cold till March. The schools may be reopened then and the decision will be taken later, the minister added.
“Whenever it will be possible to open a school, we will open it. However, even if the school is opened, full class activities may not start. There you will have to undertake class activities while maintaining hygiene rules,” she said.
Next year’s SSC, HSC exams may be delayed for 2 months. The education minister said students of tenth grade could not participate in class this year as schools were closed for almost the entire year. “However, we want classes to be held for at least three months before the SSC exam. Therefore, next year’s SSC and HSC exams may be one-two months behind schedule.” However, she said it will not affect students in their academic career.
HSC and equivalent exams results Talking about the results of the HSC and its equivalent examination, the education minister said the experts have taken a decision to publish the results after merging the results of SSC and JSC, reports UNB.
In that case 75% will be taken from SSC and 25% from JSC and the results will be published within December, she said. “A technical committee was formed in this regard and they have provided a solution by which we can fix the grade,” said Dipu Moni.
Earlier, the Department of Secondary and Higher Education had made three proposals including physical admission tests, online tests, and lottery. Among these proposals of the Department of Secondary and Higher Education, the Ministry of Education, accepted the offer of admission through lottery.
On Monday, the government decided to promote all students from classes I to V without traditional yearly final examinations amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The decision was announced in a handout from the Directorate of Primary Education (DPE). Last month, the government decided not to hold any Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) and equivalent examinations as well as Primary Education Completion and its equivalent Ebtedayee examinations for 2020.
The government extended the closure of educational institutions until December 19, aiming to prevent the spread of the Covid-19.